Raccoons, with their distinctive black masks and bushy ringed tails, are familiar sights in many parts of North America. While these nocturnal creatures are often associated with countryside habitats, they’ve also made their way into suburban and urban areas, including Morris County. As adaptable omnivores, raccoons are proficient at scavenging food from trash bins, gardens, and even homes. But when is it time to call a professional for raccoon control in Morris County, NJ? Let’s delve into the matter.
Raccoons: Harmless Visitors or Troublesome Pests?
To many, the sight of a raccoon scuttling across the backyard is an enchanting reminder of nature’s presence. Indeed, raccoons can be beneficial as they eat various pests, such as beetles, wasps, and rodents. However, there are reasons to be cautious:
- Potential for Disease Transmission: Raccoons can carry and transmit several diseases that can affect both humans and pets. Rabies is a significant concern, and while the incidence might be low, the risks associated with this fatal virus are high. Raccoons also host roundworms, which can be transmitted to humans and pets through fecal matter.
- Property Damage: Raccoons are notorious for their ability to break into trash cans, creating significant messes. Additionally, they might try to gain access to attics, crawl spaces, and chimneys in search of a warm place to nest. This can lead to structural damage, so contacting a professional for raccoon control in Morris County is recommended.
- Garden and Landscape Destruction: If you have a garden or lawn, raccoons can wreak havoc on your hard work. They might dig up lawns in search of grubs or eat fruits and vegetables from gardens.
When to Call for Raccoon Control in Morris County, NJ?
While a solitary sighting may not warrant immediate action, there are specific scenarios when reaching out to professionals is a wise decision:
- Recurrent Sightings or Evidence of Nesting: If you notice raccoons frequently or find signs that they’re nesting on your property, it’s time to consider professional intervention. Multiple raccoons or a family setting up a permanent residence can magnify the risks mentioned above.
- Aggressive Behavior: Raccoons are generally wary of humans. However, if a raccoon displays unusually bold or aggressive behavior, it could be a sign of rabies or another issue.
- Concern for Pets: Raccoons and domestic pets, like cats and dogs, don’t always coexist peacefully. Raccoons can harm pets either directly through physical confrontations or indirectly by transmitting diseases.
- Noticeable Damage: If you start to see substantial property damage or persistent disturbances, like tipped trash cans or dug-up gardens, it might be time to seek help.
Choosing the Right Raccoon Control Method
If you decide to enlist professional help, it’s essential to choose an ethical and effective raccoon control method:
- Humane Removal: Always opt for professionals who prioritize humane removal techniques. This might involve the use of live traps, followed by relocation to a more suitable environment.
- Exclusion Techniques: Once the raccoons are removed, prevent future invasions by implementing exclusion methods. This can include securing trash bins, sealing entry points to homes, and installing chimney caps.
- Educate and Adapt: Learning about raccoon behavior can help you make your property less attractive to them. This might mean not leaving pet food outside or securing compost piles.
Raccoons are undeniably charismatic creatures, playing a vital role in our ecosystem. However, when they cross paths with humans, conflicts can arise. If you reside in Morris County and encounter persistent raccoon-related issues, it’s essential to weigh the risks and benefits of coexistence. Often, the best course of action is a combination of understanding, prevention, and humane control. By doing so, we can ensure a harmonious relationship with these captivating critters and maintain the safety and sanctity of our homes.
Looking for Morris County Raccoon Control Services From an Experienced Professional?
If you’re looking for skunk removal services in Morris County, Wildlife Control Specialists, LLC is here to help! Since 2007, wildlife control has been our only business, and we are proud of our reputation as Wildlife Control Specialists. We’re a New Jersey-based, family-owned company committed to providing humane and environmentally responsible techniques for handling nuisance animal problems including: animal control and removal, animal damage repair and exclusion, and animal control prevention services, Our service area includes Morris County, Hunterdon County, Warren County, Somerset County, and parts of Mercer and Sussex County. Service towns in the Morris County, NJ area include Chatham, Roxbury, Mendham, Chester, Mount Olive, Morristown, Kinnelon, Madison, Rockaway, Butler, Randolph, Dover, East Hanover, Morris Plains, and many more! With over a decade of experience we are highly trained certified Wildlife Control Professionals, and licensed by the state of New Jersey. We are industry leaders with state-of-the-art equipment, a six-truck fleet, and own 40’ articulating lift to get those places ladders just can’t reach. For more information, you can call us at (888) 758-6572 or explore our website
NJ Wildlife Control Specialists Home
Hunterdon County Squirrel Removal
Hunterdon County Raccoon Removal
Humane Squirrel Control
Has a Raccoon Invaded Your Home?